Monday, May 21, 2012

Grilled Steak with Avocado Salad


I've been visiting my family and friends back at home this past month and have been on an avocado kick the whole time. We're lucky to have readily available, delicious avocados here in California, so I've been taking advantage of it. I can't even count how many times I've made guacamole or sliced avocado into a salad. The other week I was flipping through the pages of Sunset magazine and came across this steak recipe. It looked delicious and luckily I had almost everything at home to try it out (I used yellow onion instead or red onion for the sake of not going to the grocery store).


I ended up loving this recipe and didn't do the best job of sharing the avocado salad. Sadly, I didn't have any tortillas at home, but this would be delicious wrapped in a warm tortilla. If you're not a fan of red or yellow onions, you could always use scallions instead since they have a milder flavor, which I sometimes prefer. This is a great dish to make for any kind of summer barbecue, whether it's for a few people or if you increase the recipe and make it for guests.



Recipe from Sunset Magazine
Serves 4

1 1/2 pounds of your favorite type of steak (NY strip is recommended)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked Spanish paprika
2 ripe avocados, sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (or onion of your choice)
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
1 lime, juiced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
warm flour tortillas

Heat a grill to medium. Brush your steaks with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and the paprika. Grill steaks until they are done they way you like them. Once cooked, allow the steak to rest for a few minutes off the heat.

To make the avocado salad, toss the avocados with the onions, cilantro, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, lime juice, and jalapeno.

Slice the steak into strips, cutting across the grain. Serve with avocado salad and warm tortillas.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment