Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Guacamole

 
I realize that most people have their own interpretation of guacamole, and that everyone consideres different ingredients as essential or not necessary. I thought I'd share my version of guacamole that my mom has been using for years. A trick that I learned from a friend last year is to add a little bit of cumin to guacamole, and I have been making it that way ever since. This version of guacamole a little chunky since I use tomatoes, and it tastes great. I can eat it by the bowlful and am even guilty of licking out the leftovers from bowls.


What I love about this is that you can use all sorts of dipping devices, not just tortilla chips, and make a healthy appetizer. I usually serve this with cut up carrots and cucumbers if I want to snack on something nutritious. If you want to prepare guacamole ahead of time, save the pit from one of the avocados and add it to the finished product. If you threw the pit away, you can cover it with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic lays directly on the guacamole. Serves this as an appetizer, or as an accompaniment to a main dish, like tacos or quesedillas.



2 ripe avocados
2 small tomatoes (the ones I use are about 2" in diameter)
1/2 to 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
pinch of cumin
little squeeze of lime juice (use more or less depending on your taste preference)
salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 3/4 teaspoon salt)

In a bowl, mash the avocados with a fork. If your tomatoes are really juicy, squeeze out some of the excess liquid. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment