Sunday, July 17, 2011

Leonie's Banana Bread


During one of my high school spring breaks, my mom and I went to New Zealand to visit some family. While we were there, my aunt Leonie made this amazing banana bread, along with lots of other delicious things. To this day, it is still my favorite banana bread recipe. I've tried many different banana bread variations, but nothing comes close. I don't know where she found this recipe, but I simplified the original one and love the final result.


















This banana bread is moist and won't dry out overnight. I've had this three days after baking it and it was still delicious. Every time I've made this banana bread, people have asked for the recipe. My first summer in Switzerland, this banana bread was such a hit that the recipe got passed around to lots of different people. It's easy to make and even when I haven't had proper measuring devices (I don't think a nalgene water bottle qualifies as a fancy kitchen gadget) it has turned out really well. You can also play with the flavors in this banana bread and add some honey, walnuts, or chocolate chips.



Recipe from my aunt Leonie
Makes 1 loaf 

1 stick (113 grams) butter, at room temperature (if you're not in the U.S., 125 grams will work perfectly as well)
175 grams (about 3/4 cup) sugar
2 eggs
2 bananas, mashed
225 grams (about 2 3/4 cups) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat your oven to 350ºF/175ºC. Grease a loaf pan.

In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs and bananas.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Gradually incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick interested comes out clean and the top is golden. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment