Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad


I'm generally not a fan of iceberg lettuce since it has less flavor than other salad options (and less nutritional value), but this salad is one of the few exceptions. I love the look of this salad, and the flavor is even better. The iceberg is more of a vessel for the blue cheese dressing than anything else. You could use this dressing on a regular salad as well. I've even used it on top of burgers and as a dip for veggies and french fries.


If you like the taste of blue cheese, but not the bottled dressings from the grocery store, give this recipe a try. I used to think I hated blue cheese dressing until I made it from scratch. You can tone down the blue cheese flavor as well by adding a little more of the other ingredients, especially the sour cream. This dressing is really easy to tweak once it's made, so I suggest you do so if you prefer certain flavors over the others. I once added too much apple cider vinegar and saved it by adding some more olive oil, cheese, and sour cream.


Recipe from Good Taste (November 2009) via Taste.com.au
Serves 4

1 head iceberg lettuce, trimmed and cut into wedges
2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup (60 ml) light sour cream (I sometimes add an extra tablespoon)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon warm water
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
1/4 cup (30 grams) walnut pieces, toasted

In a bowl, mix together to blue cheese, sour cream, oil, vinegar, water, chives, and mustard. Arrange lettuce wedges on a plate and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with walnut pieces and serve.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment