Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sour Cream Banana Pancakes


I realize I just put up a post involving bananas, but these pancakes would make an amazing Mother's Day breakfast treat. The first time I tried this recipe I was probably 19 and had just recently discovered Ina Garten. I made these for a family breakfast and they were a hit with everyone. Although I usually just grab a bowl of cereal for breakfast, banana pancakes are one of my favorite hot breakfast foods. They're fluffy and the flavor from the lemon zest is amazing. But, if you're not a fan of lemon zest, you can leave it out and still enjoy these pancakes.


I almost always top these with maple syrup. On the rare occasion that I am out of maple syrup, I'll just eat these plain or add a little bit of butter on top. They really taste amazing either way. If I know I don't have any real topping for the pancakes at home, I usually slice some extra bananas into my pancakes. If you don't like bananas, feel free to add whatever fruit or berries you like to the batter. Or just make them plain.



Recipe from Ina Garten
Makes 12 pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
unsalted butter (for frying pancakes)
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving 
maple syrup (for topping)

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1/2 a tablespoon of butter (more if you feel like this isn't enough to coat your pan). Ladle the batter into the pan to make about 3 or 4 pancakes. If you want to make the mini, or giant, feel free to do so. Add one rounded tablespoon of chopped bananas to each pancake, using more or less depending on your preference. When the pancake begins to bubble and the underside is golden brown, flip it over. Cook for another minute until it is browned. Between each batch of pancakes, wipe out the pan with a paper towel and melt some more butter before ladling in the next round of batter. Continue making the pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with maple syrup (which is even better if you warm it up first), sliced bananas, butter, or whatever else you enjoy on pancakes.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment