Thursday, March 3, 2016

Quick and Easy Miso Soup


My friends and I have started a tradition where we have make-your-own sushi night. I tend to host them at my place and I usually have some appetizers ready to go since the sushi rolling process can be time consuming. One thing that I have made for each night is this miso soup. It's so simple and you can flavor it to your liking very easily. When I first made this I couldn't believe how easily it came together. I did have to go to an Asian grocery to find some of the ingredients (like the seaweed and the Japanese style bouillon). Once you have the basic ingredients on hand this soup is very easy make a second time. Enjoy this with some homemade spicy tuna rolls of Japanese style ginger and carrot dressed salad.

Recipe from Steamy Kitchen


1 1/2 teaspoons instant dashi granules
1/4 cup miso paste 1 tablespoon dried seaweed (for miso soup, I used wakame seaweed), soaked in water 1/2 cup cubed tofu 2 tablespoons chopped green onion


In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Whisk in the dashi until it dissolves. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the tofu pieces. Drain the seaweed and it to the pot. Simmer for 2 minutes.
While the broth simmers, place the miso paste into a bowl. Ladle around 1/2 cup of the hot broth into a bowl. Whisk until the miso paste begins to melt and the consistency is smooth.
Remove the soup from heat and mix in the miso slurry. Taste the soup - if it needs more flavor, whisk in another tablespoon or two of miso paste until you reach your desired flavor. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Pin It Now!

1 comment: