Saturday, August 30, 2014

Kale and Quinoa Salad with Parmesan


My sister made this salad over fourth of July weekend and it has been one of the few times that I actually liked kale. I keep trying to convince myself that I enjoy kale, but usually force myself to eat it and remind myself that it's healthy. This salad was actually delicious and gave me faith in kale again. Though I will probably not be adding kale to my usual rotation of foods, this recipe is a great way to sneak it in and stock up on vitamins.


The original recipe called for ricotta salata, but we used Parmesan. We also served extra grated Parmesan at the dinner table for anyone who wanted more (Which of course I did). If you're skeptical about kale, give this salad a try. And if you're still not convinced, the cheese really makes a huge difference too.



Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

For the salad:
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
8 ounces kale, rinsed and dried
8 ounces slivered almonds, toasted and cooled
1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
2 or 3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons chopped dill
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
a few twirls of lemon zest

For the Dressing:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
scant teaspoon honey
salt and pepper to season

Rinse your quinoa and place it in saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt and let it simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and cooked. Drain off any excess liquid. Spread out the quinoa on a plate so it can cool down. Remove the rib from each piece of kale and keep only the leaves. Make a stack of the leaves, roll them the long way and cut the roll into ribbons. Put the sliced kale into a salad bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients to the bowl. In another bowl mix your dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad and mix. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment