Sunday, December 1, 2013

Homemade Spelt Pasta


I have recently discovered spelt flour and am a fan. The taste of spelt flour is not too different from wheat flour, so it's a pretty good substitute. After reading a traditional Italian pasta cookbook the other day, I really wanted to experiment with making fresh pasta, but wanted to try out my recently purchased spelt flour. I found this spelt pasta recipe and was really happy with the end result.


I made ravioli the first time I used this recipe. I don't have a pasta machine, so rolling and re-rolling the dough was the best way for me to get the dough thin enough. It would be a lot easier with a pasta machine, but it is doable by hand. The result is not as delicate, but I was happy with the end result. The one thing to look out for is to make sure the pasta does not dry out since it can become brittle, so work as quickly as you can. Use this pasta for any shape or form.



Recipe from food.com

2 cups spelt flour
3 eggs, room temperature
1 pinch of salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Sift the flour and salt into a medium-large bowl. Create a well in the mixture. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg and oil. Pour the egg and oil mixture into the center of the well. Mix together with a wooden spoon. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow is to rest for 20 minutes. Roll the pasta with a pasta press or a rolling pin and shape as desired. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment