Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thai Sweet Potato Soup


As the snow is falling, I'm going into hibernation mode. My immersion blender has been getting lots of use since I seem to constantly be in soup moods. I've been trying to keep my soups healthy and avoid using cream to create a smooth texture. Coconut milk is a great way to add this silkiness to a curry soup.


You can make this soup with a variety of vegetables. You can use pumpkin, butternut squash or anything similar. I had a mixture of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes at home, so that's what I used. This soup is pretty thick, which I love, but feel free to add more stock if you want a thinner soup. I made this soup fairly spicy, so adjust the amount of chili and curry paste to your liking. I sometimes top this soup with finely chopped cilantro if I have it around.


Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com

1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon grated ginger
4 heaping tablespoons Thai red curry paste
1 red chili, chopped
2.5 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly cut
1.5 pound yukon gold (or similar) potatoes, peeled and roughly cut
3 cups vegetable stock
17 ounces (1/2 liter) coconut milk
fresh lime juice, to season (optional)

In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onion until translucent over medium heat. Add the grated ginger, curry paste and and chili and mix for about 1 minute. Add the potatoes and stock, bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add the coconut milk and cook another 2 minutes. If desired, add lime juice to taste. Serve with a garnish of coconut milk and sliced chili, if desired. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment