Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tequila Citrus Chicken



I was staring at my fridge when I realized it was time to use up some limes. I also had tons of chicken in the freezer. I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try. I haven't tried grilling it yet since I have yet to get a new propane tank for my grill (can't avoid that much longer with spring weather coming up). I fried the chicken in very little oil and it turned out great. I wasn't expecting the meat to have as much flavor as it did and was pleasantly surprised by my first bite.


This chicken would taste great with any of your usual side dishes (any kind of slaw, corn salad, etc...). I just made rice and a leafy salad and was happy with that, though I imagine a Tex-Mex style slaw would be perfect. Definitely take the time to marinate this overnight, the flavor will be worth the wait.



Recipe from Ina Garten

1/2 cup gold tequila
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 to 6 limes)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper (or 1 small serrano pepper)
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 whole (6 split) boneless chicken breasts or thighs, skin on


In a bowl mix together the tequila, lime and orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Heat your grill to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and sprinkle with a little slat and peper. Grill skin-side down for 5 minutes, then turn and cook another 10 minutes, or until the meat is done. Allow to rest, then serve.

If you choose not to grill, you can also lightly fry this in a pan over medium heat. If choosing this method, use about 3/4 tablespoon of oil in your pan and cook the chicken until it is done.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment