Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Quinoa Tabouleh


I recently realized that I hadn't made an Mediterranean food in months. I always say if I had to choose one type of food to live off of my entire life, it would be Mediterranean. So it was time to take action and make one of the most refreshing side dishes/salads there is: tabouleh (also spelled tabouli). I know tabouleh is considered a salad, but I use it more as a very healthy side dish. Last time I made this I served it along panko crusted trout.


I've been on a quinoa kick lately since I realized I have tons of it in my pantry (well, more like a food cupboard). Tabouleh is usually made with bulgur, but also tastes great when made with quinoa. You could probably use other grains in this recipe and still get a delicious tasting side dish. Feel free to add more parsley to the dish. I tend to skimp on the parsley since I don't like when it overwhelms the mint and lemon flavors.




3/4 cup quinoa
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 English cucumber, seeded and diced
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped parsley (you can add more for a more authentic flavor)
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to season

Cook the quinoa according to the package's instructions. Allow to cool while you chop all the vegetables.

In a bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix. Season to your liking and serve at room temperature. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment