Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bahama Mama


It's been a while since I've made a fruity cocktail. Lately I've been helping out in the local bar and have had to learn a few of the drinks on their menu. I'm not one of those natural bartenders who can create a new drink ever minute, but I do know what tastes good. While working, I decided to make some fun "drink of the day" cocktail for those sunny days when people enjoy coming by for a drink. Since rum seems to be one of the better alcohols for making fruity drinks, I started looking around. I needed a drink I could make quickly and with limited supplies. The bar here is small: no blenders and only one beer tap and the maximum capacity behind the bar is 2 people.

This drink seemed like it could be made with what I had on hand and I also didn't need to special order any ingredients. The original recipe mixes all the ingredients in a blender, which I agree would probably be even better, but the flavor combination it delicious. It's one of those dangerous drinks, like a piña colada, where you could drink one after the other and forget you're consuming alcohol, so consider yourself warned. 

Adapted from allrecipes.com
Makes 1 cocktail

1/2 ounce rum
1/2 ounce coconut flavored rum (I used Malibu)
1/2 ounce grenadine
1 ounce orange juice
1 ounce pineapple juice
1 cup crushed ice (plus 1/2 cup ice cubes if you do not have a blender)

If using a blender, place all the ingredient in your blender. Mix until slushy and pour into your favorite cocktail glass.

If you do not have a blender, place the 1/2 cup of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Add both rums, grenadine, and both juices. Shake well. Pour the liquid only (discard the ice cubes when done) over finely crushed ice.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment