Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup


This recipe is another one sent to me by my sister. I think she is trying to make me jealous since we don't have ingredients like chipotles in adobo in my village. In fact, we seem to be missing most spices I usually cook with (cumin included). I absolutely love the flavor chipotles in adobo add to any recipe and hope that you can all access this great ingredient. You won't use the whole can of chipotles for this recipe, but they freeze really well if you end up with lots of extra.

My sister found this recipe and tweaked it a bit to suit her preferences, which are usually also my preferences, so the variation I'm posting is hers. She said it makes lots of soup, so you may might want to invite someone over to help you finish off the pot. Hopefully I can try this recipe soon since it seems like a delicious, hearty soup.



Recipe from Homesick Texan
Serves 6 to 8

1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced

2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (or more if you prefer you soup to be less thick)
1/2 to 1 chipotle in adobo (depending on your preference), chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Juice of one lime

3/4 cup heavy cream
salt and black pepper, to taste
Sour cream


In a large pot over medium low heat, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.


Next, add the sweet potatoes, broth, chipotle, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil then cover. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.


Allow the soup to cool slightly. Either place batches of the soup in a blender to puree or use an immersion blender in the pot. Add the lime juice and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment