Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pink Salty Dog


Sorry to everyone who is still stuck with gloomy winter weather, but it's been warm here all week. Goodbye hot cocoa and spiced rum, hello fruity drinks and cocktails! I came across this recipe on Martha Stewart's site and was surprised. I must be living under a rock or something, but I had no clue Martha could make a good cocktail (I don't know why I ever doubted her). Since I've been on a freshly squeezed juice kick lately, this cocktail sounded perfect.


This isn't one of those overly sweet drinks, but I also haven't made the grenadine variation. If you use the Campari, it will be the dominant flavor of the drink. If you're more into a sugary flavor, give it a try with the grenadine. Martha recommends using a salt-rimmed glass, but I prefer sugar. Just use whichever you like more, or skip it altogether. This is the perfect drink to enjoy in some sunshine.


Recipe from Martha Stewart
Makes 1 drink

Coarse salt or sugar, for the rim of your glass (optional)
Citrus fruit slice for garnish (Martha uses grapefruit, but since I juiced mine, I used orange)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice
2 tablespoons vodka
1 tablespoon Campari or grenadine
1 cup of ice

Prepare you glass for the cocktail by running a slice of grapefruit (or orange) around the rim of your glass to moisten it. Pour some salt or sugar on a flat plate and dip the rim of your glass into it. In a blender, combine the grapefruit juice, vodka and Campari  and blend. Keep the blender running and add the ice until it's slushy. Pour into your glass, add the garnish, and serve. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I love a good salty dog ;) drank a lot of those 4th of July 2009 in the Hamptons...so very Martha

    ReplyDelete