Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hoisin Glazed Kebabs


Hoisin sauce is one of my favorite Asian sauces. I like it so much that I may or may not have consumed every last drop of this sauce, even after my kebab was gone (gross, I know). This is an easy recipe to throw together and can be changed to your liking. Add whatever vegetables you want to the skewers, or even fruit. I kind of wished I had some pineapple chunks on my skewer as I was eating it. You can increase the spiciness, add ginger, or even add some orange juice and zest. If you like the flavor of hoisin sauce, you can't go wrong with these kebabs.


Never heard of hoisin? Trust me on this, it's delicious, and available in the Asian section of most grocery stores. If you've ever had mu shu chicken/pork at a Chinese restaurant, hoisin is the main flavor in that dish. It's a little bit sweet, and has a consistency similar of oyster sauce. Enjoy this quick, Asian-inspired meal and serve kebabs over rice, or just the way they are. These are more filling that I realized and one kebab was plenty for me. If you don't feel like making kebabs, this marinade would be great on a regular steak as well.

Serves 2 to 3

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil (or other mild oil)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 pound sirloin steaks (or another cut of meat you like to grill with)
1 red bell pepper

Whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, pepper flakes, garlic and cilantro. Put 1/4 cup of the marinade to the side and reserve for later.

Cut the steak and peppers into 1 1/2" chunks (this gave me an even 12 pieces of each). In a bowl, toss the remaining sauce with the steak and peppers. Allow to marinade for at least 15 minutes. Skewer onto metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden soak for 30 minutes in water before using), alternating between steak and peppers. I made 4 skewers, but feel free to divide this up however you want.

Spray a grill with nonstick spray and grill to your desired level of doneness. For medium rare, grill for about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment