Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fish Tacos/ Burritos


I've had a request to post some quick and easy meals for the employed population of the world that's busy working and doesn't have hours to search for recipes and try them out. Here's one that happened on accident today after running errands and realizing that I was starving at 4 pm. I opened my fridge and was relieved to see I had an avocado left. Pretty sure I could live off of avocados and cilantro if I didn't love all food so much. Anyway, I had more or less everything I needed to make some fish tacos, except taco shells. But I made do with a normal wheat wrap and it tasted just as good as my usual tacos (possibly due to my being really hungry). This recipe is so quick and easy and anything you have in your fridge or pantry that sounds like it goes well with Mexican/Tex-Mex food can be thrown in. I had half a can of kidney beans left that I added to the mix, but seriously, whatever you want works. Mainly I'm giving you the fish, guacamole, and 1 minute salsa recipes and the rest you can make up. Don't use all of these elements if you don't want to, I just love overloading my tacos and burritos. If you don't like spicy foods, scale back on the chili usage or use mild chilies or peppers.

Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes

For the fish:
1/2 to 1 pound white fish, preferably one that is flaky
1/3 cup oil (I used canola)
1 small hot chili of choice, chopped (I the US I'd use Serrano, but here we only have red Thai chilies)
2 limes, juiced (if you don't have fresh limes, use about 1/8 cup bottled juice)
1 generous handful cilantro, chopped (again, more or less depending on your preference)
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch of salt

Combine all of these ingredients in a bowl. In the meantime, prepare all the other elements of your taco. When everything is ready, fry the fish for about 5 minutes total, or until flaky. If your fish is fresh your house won't smell like fish.


One serving of guacamole

For the Salsa:
2 tomatoes
1/2 hot chili or pepper (this will definitely be noticed)
small handful cilantro
the remaining green bits of green onion (or just 1/2 a green onion)
salt and pepper to taste

Place all of the ingredients in the jug of a hand mixed and mix on high until everything is pureed.


For the tacos:

Place the desired number of taco shells (soft or hard) in the oven, just until warm. Fill with fish, salsa, guacamole, and whatever you want (beans, cabbage, lettuce, green onions, olives, sliced tomato, sour cream, shredded cheese, red onions, pickled jalapenos...). This will get messy, so keep the napkins close.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment