Wednesday, February 15, 2017

French Green Lentils with Roasted Beets and Carrots



About 6 years ago I was on a huge lentil kick. I used to make lentil salads every other day for work and find ways to add them to my everyday meals. I made a lot of mujaddara during this time as well. For some reason lentils have since gone off my radar, until my mom sent me this recipe. This is a warm, comfort food type of dish that is very guilt free (at least in my opinion). This makes a main course as itself, especially if you serve this with a salad and some crusty bread.


Recipe adapted from Zürsun Idaho Heirloom Beans

3 small beets, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 shallots, peeled and halved
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups French green lentils
3 cups water
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Sort and rise the lentil in cold water, drain. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 400F/205C. Using a medium roasting pan, toss the beets, carrots and shallots with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the thyme, salt and pepper and toss. Roast the vegetables in your oven until they being to brow, about 20 minutes. 

Add the lentils and 3 cups of water to the roasting pan and cover with foil. Continue to cook until the lentils are tender and the water has been absorbed.  This will take around 1 hour.

Remove the lentils form the oven. Dress with the vinegar and remaining olive oil. Once slightly cooled, add the parsley and season with salt and pepper, if desired.



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment