Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Burnt Eggplant with Garlic, Lemon & Pomegranate Seeds



Last year my mom bought a cookbook thats I have been dying to try out. It's called Jerusalem: A Cookbook and has all sorts of delicious recipes in it. I started off with something simple since some of the recipes call for lots of ingredients and time. This recipe itself is really easy, but it take time to let the flavors soak in. I started making this late one evening and I wasn't able to finish it until the following day. The authors describe this dish, which I would classify as a dip, starter, or spread, as baba ghanoush without the tahini paste and with a sprinkle or pomegranate seeds.



Recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's Jerusalem: A Cookbook

4 large eggplants
2 garlic cloves, minced
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
seeds of 1/2 a pomegranate
salt and pepper, to season

Score the eggplants with a knife in a few places, slicing about 3/4" into the eggplants. Put the eggplants on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 50 to 60 minutes. Turn the eggplants over every 20 minutes. The eggplants will be charred on the outside, and may break. Once done cooking, take the eggplants out of the oven and allow them to cool. Once you can handle them, slice them in half and scoop out the flesh. Divide the flesh into thin strips and place it in a colander. Allow to drain for at least one hour to get rid of as much of the water as possible.

Once done draining, place the eggplant in a bowl. Add the garlic, lemon zest and juice, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some pepper. Mix and let marinate at room temperature for an hour. When you want to serve the dish, add most of the herbs and mix. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and the remaining herbs. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful combination that I've only had once before in a spa hotel in Italy, so I know I like it. However, I have never tried this variation before and I am very curious about it.

    ReplyDelete