Friday, January 10, 2014

Spelt Buiscuits


With the cold weather comes my love for baking. Since I've been having lots of soup lately, I enjoy having a good biscuit to go along with it. Since I still had some spelt flour hanging out in my pantry, I decided to try making these biscuits and was happily surprised. Though I still prefer my Flaky Cheese Biscuits, these are really easy to make a nice change to my usual all-purpose flour biscuits.


I made these plain, but you could easily add some herbs to the dough or some grated cheese to add some more flavor. These biscuits are best on the first day they are baked, but will still be alright the next day. You can easily freeze leftover biscuits if you need to.



Recipe from allrecipes.com

Makes 6 to 8 biscuits

2 cups spelt flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (75 grams) butter
2/3 cups of milk

Preheat your oven to 450ºF/220ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter and mix it in with your hands until it resembles crumbs. Gradually mix in the milk. The dough will feel fairly wet at this point. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead. The dough will quickly become a workable texture. Flatten the dough so it is 1" thick. Cut the dough into your preferred shape and place the biscuits 1" apart on your baking sheet. Bake 13 to 17 minutes, until just golden. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment