Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Swiss Carrot Cake (Rüeblicake)



This is another recipe from Betty Bossi, the brand put on some great Swiss cookbook. The Betty Bossi recipes I use are generally older than me, but they are great. I especially love the Betty Bossi baking books, where I have yet to make a cookie or cake that I dislike (of course I skip over some of the really outdated sounding recipes). This cake is great plain, or you could top it with a cream cheese topping. I sometimes make muffins out of this batter. That way, if it's just me at home, I can freeze most of them and just thaw them when my sweet tooth kicks in.


This is a really simple carrot cake, but it is a flavor I love every time I make it. Though I haven't tried it yet, I would guess you could sub half the butter for applesauce. Somehow I never remember to buy apple sauce before I make this recipe, but while I'm making it I remember that it would have been a good idea. For the almonds, you could use either almond meal (which is just finely ground almonds) or put slivered almonds in a food processor or blender. Either method works, but I usually grind the almonds myself.


Recipe from Betty Bossi

350 grams/ 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
300 grams/ 1 2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
250 grams carrots (about 2 big carrots), finely grated
1 lemon, zested and juiced
250 grams/ 9 ounces ground almonds
4 eggs, beaten
200 grams/ 7 ounces butter, melted and cooled

Preheat your oven ro 350ºF/175ºC. Place an oven rack in the lower third of your oven. Grease a large loaf pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and salt. Mix in the carrots, lemon zest and juice, and almond. Pour in the eggs and butter and stir until the batter is one consistency.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for about 60 to 65 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If making muffins, bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment