Monday, June 11, 2012

Deviled Eggs with Capers and Dill


Last month, Fine Cooking magazine had a 2 page spread featuring different variations of deviled eggs. Believe it or not, I had only tried deviled eggs once before making them on my own. Years ago at a potluck barbecue in Switzerland a friend of mine made a platter of traditional deviled eggs. I thought I would hate them since the thought of mayo and eggs doesn't sounds all that great, but they were surprisingly good. As usual, I forgot all about deviled eggs until I picked up a copy of Fine Cooking.


As much as I enjoy classic deviled eggs, this version is my favorite. The capers and dill add such a great flavor to the eggs that it makes the original version seem a bit plain. Don't get me wrong, I still love the classic variation (I will eventually write a post about them in case you've never tried them before), but this combination was a very welcomed change. The original recipe uses red onions, but I opted for scallions. Use whichever you prefer, but I imagine using a white onion would be too overpowering.



Adapted from Fine Cooking
Makes 8

4 hard boiled eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons capers, chopped
2 teaspoons scallions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
extra dill or paprika, for garnish (optional)

There are 2 ways you can prepare the eggs, the lazy method of boiling, which is what I do, or steaming. For boiling, bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Once boiling, cook eggs for 11 minutes. For steaming, place eggs in a steaming basket over boiling water and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the steamer from heat, cover, and let the eggs steam another 5 minutes. With either method, it helps with the peeling if you plunge the eggs in an ice bath once cooked and peel them under a stream of cold water.

Once your eggs have cooked and cooled, slice them in half lengthwise, remove the yolks*, and place them in a bowl. Mash the egg yolks with the back of a spoon. Add the mayo and mash until smooth. Mix in the capers, scallions, and dill. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Pipe or spoon the mixture into the hollows of the egg whites. Garnish with dill or paprika, if using.

*My mom's trick to removing yolks: once sliced, turn the egg upside down over your bowl (so the yolk is facing the bowl). Gently squeeze the the egg where the yolk is and it falls out on its own.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment