Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tangy Strawberry Lemonade


For a few years now, I've wanted to try making homemade lemonade. I don't have any excuse for not making this sooner, but am glad I finally did. I wanted to make strawberry lemonade since I've already had my fair share of traditional lemonade this summer. My search began on the Food Network website, but once I looked elsewhere, I quickly found this recipe and knew it was what I wanted to make.


This lemonade is really tangy, but still sweet. Many recipes for strawberry lemonade include the pureed berry in the lemonade, but I like this one because it just uses the berries for flavor. To me, a glass of lemonade should not have seeds and berry pulp in it. Because this lemonade is smooth and does not have chunks of fruit puree in it, it also make a great cocktail. Add a splash of vodka and you have a refreshing, colorful adult beverage. You could also freeze this and make a delicious popsicle.



Recipe from Group Recipes

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup coarsely chopped strawberries
4 1/2 cups cold water
2 lemons, zest peeled off with a vegetable peeler
2 cups fresh lemon juice
lemon slices and strawberries for garnish (optional)

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, strawberries, and 2 cups of water. Cook until the sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the strawberries soften and release their color, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the lemon peel. Allow to cool completely.

Once cooled, strain the strawberry syrup through a sieve and into a pitcher. Press the berries firmly into the sieve to release all the syrup. Discard the strawberry pieces and lemon peel. Add the lemon juice and remaining 2 1/2 cups of cold water to the pitcher. Mix well.

Serve cold and garnish with lemon slices and/or strawberries. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment