Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mediterranean Style Quinoa Salad

 
Quinoa salads are such a great summertime meal or side dish. They're really filling, healthy, and can be made to suit your flavor preferences. Ever since I was little, I have loved Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food. If I had to live off of one style of food the rest of my life, that's what I'd choose. My sister thinks I'm weird sometimes because I like sliced cucumbers and tomatoes for breakfast. I generally prefer them over lots of breakfast foods, like danishes and muffins. I've always enjoyed almost all veggies and fruits, which is probably why I like so many different types of salads.


Now that I'm in Denver and enjoying the 80º+ weather, it's time to start enjoying summer food and eating dinner outdoors. I came up with this quinoa salad the other night after deciding I felt like having something with feta cheese and olives. It was really easy to put this together, to the point where I wondered if I should even put up this post. But, since most people I know prefer quick and easy dishes over something complicated, I figured someone might enjoy it. My sister and I had some grilled portobello mushrooms along with this salad and called it a meal. As with many of the foods I make, your can easily change this salad to suit your taste buds.




Serves 4

1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1/3 cup cucumbers, chopped
1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the quiona according to the direction on the package. If you want to add more flavor to your quinoa, cook it in chicken or vegetable stock instead of water. Once cooked, allow it to cool down to room temperature. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix. Serve at room temperature or cold.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment