Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blueberry Pound Cake


I bought some blueberries the other day, only to realize that they were not nearly sweet enough and weren't at all enjoyable as a snack. I hate when this happens with produce, but luckily there are recipes that can handle the less than perfect fruits and veggies. This pound cake recipe is one my mom has been making for years. The first time I ever had it, my mother's friend had made some and my mom brought home leftovers. It was an instant hit with everyone in my family and it's been in my mom's recipe binder ever since. And having recently bought some adorable mini cake forms, I quickly started whisking the ingredients together.


This recipe comes from a 1998 edition of Cooking Light magazine and asks for some low-fat ingredients. Half the time I use full fat ingredients since I'm not the biggest fan of things like light butter. I also just throw in whole eggs since I find it wasteful to throw out half an egg just to be healthy (and let's be honest, that egg yolk is the least of you worries when it comes to baking). But I also know this recipe tastes good either way. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries, but keep in mind that the frozen ones can end up coloring your entire cake a blueish color.


Adapted from Cooking Light magazine, July 1998
Makes one 10" tube cake or about 10 muffins/mini cakes
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes (for the cake version)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (or regular cream cheese), softened
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, with 2 tablespoons removed and reserved
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) carton lemon yogurt (low-fat)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine 2 tablespoons flour and blueberries in a small bowl, and toss well. Combine remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternating with yogurt (beginning and ending with flour mixture). Fold in blueberry mixture and vanilla; pour cake batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Top with warm blueberry compote, blueberry jam, or lemon glaze (recipe follows).

Lemon Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice


Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; drizzle over warm cake.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment