Thursday, August 17, 2017

Jujeh Kabob (Persian Chicken Kabob)



I was lucky enough to grow up with friends whose mother's were amazing cooks. I can;t even remember how young I was when I first had jujeh kabobs, but I have always loved them. I first made these myself about 2 years ago and was so pleasantly surprised by how well they turned out. I made these again recently at a friend's BBQ and forgot how much I love this variation of grilled chicken. Though traditionally these are served as a skewered chicken kabob, I have at time just marinated chicken thighs in the marinade and grilled them on their own. Either way, this recipe is delicious and easy to make.




Adapted from Turmeric & Saffron and Saveur

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (if using skewers, cut in to cubes)
1 cup whole milk, plain yogurt
1 medium yellow onion, grated
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
8 threads of saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water (or dissolved 1 teaspoon of powered saffron in the water)

In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, onion, lime juice, orange zest, cumin, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and saffron. Add the chicken to the bowl and coat the chicken evenly.

Allow the chicken to marinade in the fridge at least 6 hours, or overnight.

Heat your grill to medium high. In the meantime, if you are using skewers, skewer the chicken. Grilled until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

This dish is delicious served with grilled tomatoes, yogurt sauce and rice or warm pita. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment