Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing


I tend to make the same salad 95% of the time. The veggies might change, but I don't stray from my "house" dressing too often. It's my family's favorite that my mom and grandma make. However, it's sometime fun to mix it up and serve a different salad. I have always loved poppy seed dressing, but had never made it in the past. I was looking for a new, colorful salad to make for guests and decided to try this recipe. It was a hit and I enjoyed the crunch from the nuts combined with the other elements.

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup slivered or chopped almonds
1 bunch romaine, sliced or torn (about 8 cups)
1 small shallot, cut in half and thinly sliced
2 cups halved fresh strawberries

Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
2 1/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Place a small heavy skillet or pan over medium-high heart. Add the sugar and allow to melt until caramel colored, about 10 minutes. Add in the almonds. Once they are covered in the caramel, pour the almonds on a sheet of foil and spread evenly.

While the almonds cool, mix together all of the dressing ingredients in the bottom of your serving bowl. Add in the lettuce, shallot and strawberries. Break the almonds into smaller pieces and add to the salad. Mix and enjoy.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment