Friday, April 8, 2011

Almond Poppy Seed Cake


I've been wanting to make this cake for a a few months now. It all started with a search for a very specific poppy seed cake that is wrapped in a pastry (I never found a good one by the way), but while looking everywhere, I stumbled upon this recipe. It sounded pretty delicious, and it did not fail at all.


My parents recently returned from a trip overseas and brought me a silicone cake form (this was my first attempt at using one), so I decided it would be the perfect time to try this recipe. In terms of the cakes flavor, have you ever eaten one of those massive Costco poppy seed muffins? Think of those, but lots better. I made this cake Thursday night, and by Saturday evening it still did not dry out. I absolutely love it, as does my family. Three of us managed to finish half of this cake in 1 day. So I hope you all give this a try. It's actually really easy to make and even though I oh-so-slightly over-baked it, it still came out being very moist. And it stayed moist for 3 days. The original recipe is made in a 9" bundt or tube form, but having neither of these on hand, and a new adorable form to try out, I made one brioche-style cake. Baking time will vary based on cake form.

Adapted from Mostly Foodstuffs via The Baker's Cafe Cookbook
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: about 1 hour (for smaller forms, 45 minutes to 1 hour)

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 generous pinch salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan or cake form of choice.

In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Blend in the sour cream, both extracts and poppy seeds, mixing until well combined. Fold in the dry ingredients, and mix until barely combined. Pour into the prepared pan, and bake 45-60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan (on a rack, preferably) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment