Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lemon Panna Cotta


Ok, I really can't begin to describe the panna cotta heaven I am in. It's day 2 of my panna cotta binge and I see no end in sight. How can you go wrong when the main ingredient is cream (hence the name panna cotta: cooked cream)? After baking a bit the past week and realizing that it is counterproductive to keeping the house cool, I thought I would try out panna cotta. To be honest, I've never worked with gelatin before and I had some serious doubts. I had to combine methods for making panna cotta from a few different sources since the original Gordon Ramsay recipe called for gelatin leaves. All I could find in the grocery store was powdered gelatin so I followed Giada's method of using powdered gelatin.


I also don't have the proper pudding molds used for making panna cotta, so I filled some muffin tins and glasses. I'm sure any professional chef out there would be horrified at such things, but it worked out fine. In the end, this no-bake recipe is pretty much the prefect, refreshing dessert. I had my panna cotta plain and with a lime sauce, but to be honest, just plain tasted the best. It would definitely be great with some berries on the side if you're trying to make it look a bit nicer and fuller. Or just make all the sides Gordon Ramsay came up with.


Recipe from Gordon Ramsay with techniques from Giada de Laurentiis
Makes 8 small servings (apparently 6 pudding molds)
Prep time: 35 minutes
Chilling time: at least 3 1/2 hours, more for larger molds

1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
150ml (about 5 oz or 1.6 cups) milk
600ml (about 20 oz or 2.4 cups) heavy cream
200 grams (slightly less and 1 cup) sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lime

Place the milk in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Let is stand for 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour this into a heavy saucepan (not a small one) and stir over medium heat until the gelatin has dissolved but the milk is not boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and sugar and slowly bring to a boil. When boiling, add lemon juice and lemon and lime zest. Whisk well. Simmer for a few minutes (I simmered for about 10). Strain this mixture into a jug, or something that you can easily pour from. Carefully pour mixture into your molds and chill until firm (anywhere from 3 to 5 hours depending on size).

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment